Angela Smith MP

Working hard for you


How Angela Can help

At the last general election, Angela was honoured to be elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for the Penistone & Stocksbridge constituency and to take a seat in the House of Commons as one of 650 MPs.This page details information on what she can, and cannot, do for you as your MP

My Role as an MP

Since the election, my job has been to represent my constituents in Parliament. This means that I take up issues on behalf of my constituents or point people in the right direction if their enquiry can be dealt with by another body. I ask questions and make speeches in the House of Commons, pressing government ministers for an answer or raising an issue of concern to constituents.My role as an MP is to represent all the people in my constituency, not just those who voted for me. I am here to represent the interests of all the people of Penistone & Stocksbridge, regardless of their political views, with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible and I will do so to the best of my ability.

What I can - and cannot - do for you

Many people think that their MP is able to solve all their problems for them. Regrettably, this is simply not the case. MPs are there to help only with matters which relate to Parliament or central Government, or which fall under their responsibility. If problems arise with work carried out by central government departments I may be able to help you. These include areas such as: 

  • Issues dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service
  • Issues involving the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise Departments, such as Tax (but not council tax, which is dealt with by your local authority)
  • Issues dealt with by the Department of Social Security, such as benefits, pensions and national insurance (but not issues with the social services department which is dealt with by your local authority).
  • Issues dealt with by the Home Office and the Department for Education and Employment, such as immigration, school closures and grants (but not, for example, day-to-day problems involving schools, which are run by their governors and your local education authority)

Other Ways of seeking help

Constituents often approach me with a problem because they do not know who else could help them. In these circumstances, I will try my best to help you. However, if your problem really concerns the local or County Council, rather than central government, then you should contact your local council or councillor first. This means my time can be better spent in dealing with problems that relate to me in my capacity as an MP, rather than diverting queries that should be taken up elsewhere in the first instance.

Parliamentary Protocol :

There is a strict convention at Westminster that Members of Parliament do not seek to intervene in matters affecting the constituents of otherMembers.

In normal circumstances, therefore, I will only be able to pursue matters raised by my own constituents. Before you contact me, it would be beneficial for both of us if you confirmed that you were a resident of the Penistone & Stocksbridge Constituency.

Full details of how to Locate and Confirm your MP are detailed here.